Friday, March 27, 2009

Web Excersise

The most interesting thing I learned was in the PyOpenGL article. It was the breakdown of the hierarchy for drawing geometry. I think for my project I will try to use the Vertex Buffer Objects. It seems better to me to keep the objects in video card memory, then call them when you need them. The Unreal Engine uses this technique for rendering static meshes. If you store a model in video card memory, you can then draw it onscreen in many different places with a lot less overhead.
That OpenGL is available for Processing is also very interesting. I wish I had known this when I started working on my SuperShape Project.

Here is a screenshot of my Bezier curve program implemented in OpenGL:


For the perspective example, I first "cut" all of the 4 inside faces, and duplicated them, then added faces in the middle, creating a kind of wall in the center of the "hallway." Then I moved the 4 outside faces to make a diamond shape, and I added triangles to fill out the front and back faces. I also played with the colors. Here is a shot of the front, with red white and blue colors, and the back, with all 4 primary and secondary colors:



Finally here is a picture where I put in ridiculous values for the normals, just trying to figure out how they worked. I included this picture also because it shows how I added triangles to fill out those front and back faces:

No comments:

Post a Comment